Travel Protection Plan

Travel Protection PlanAs our society has become increasingly mobile, the likelihood that someone will die while away from home has increased. When this happens, it opens up the often difficult world of making transportation arrangements for a dead body.

There are many factors to consider when shipping human remains, and it can be costly, especially when death occurs in another country. Transportation services for shipping a dead body can cost from $1,500 to $15,000 or more.

Do You Travel For Business or Pleasure?

If you travel often, you may be a good candidate for a travel protection plan. Funeralwise has teamed with Inman Worldwide Shipping to offer our community the chance to take advantage of the Inman Travel Plan. This plan covers both domestic and international travel. You pay one low fee, and should you die while away from home, your transportation arrangements will be handled by Inman. The plan is ideal for those who frequently travel for either business or pleasure. Having the Travel Plan in place will be an invaluable benefit for your surviving family.

Enroll in a Travel Protection Plan

Signing up for the Inman Travel Protection Plan is easy. Simply fill out the enrollment form. Once your payment is processed, you’ll be covered. Your one-time fee provides lifetime protection. Once we receive your service agreement and payment, we’ll send you:

  • General information about the plan.
  • A copy of your Service Agreement Application.
  • An identification card with information on who to call when the service is needed.
  • A change of address form to use if you need it.

Keep in mind that Travel Protection Plans apply when a person dies away from home while traveling for a short period of time. This type of plan is an excellent option for vacationers, business travelers, or for those who live away from their permanent residence temporarily. In situations where a body needs to be transported to an area that is not a permanent residence, a Travel Plan likely will not be an option. In these cases, you will need the help of a funeral home at each end of the trip.

Some companies specialize in offering transportation services for those who would like to be buried away from their permanent residence. These companies generally require that you engage the funeral home services in both the city where the death occurs and the city where you would like to have the person buried.

When You Need To Use Your Plan

Should your survivors or travel companions need to activate your Travel Plan, they must first contact the travel protection plan provider. Your ID card will include information on who to call.

The Inman Travel Plan covers a participant who is 75 miles or more away from his or her legal residence at the time of death and includes:

  • Contacting a licensed funeral home or mortuary near the place of death;
  • Transporting the deceased from the place of death to the funeral home or mortuary;
  • Preparing the deceased for transport;
  • Securing documentation needed for shipping, including one death certificate;
  • Placing the deceased in an appropriate container for shipping;
  • Transportation for the deceased to their local funeral home. (Note: Plans purchased before 2021 may require that the deceased be transported to the airport closest to their home rather than to a funeral home).

Using a Travel Protection Plan

Inman professionals will coordinate with a local funeral home or mortuary when you have the plan, purchase a container for transportation, and arrange and pay for necessary transportation. This isn’t a reimbursement plan, so you cannot pay for the services and submit a claim. Inman must do all the work. All you need to do is enroll in the program. Once you receive your enrollment number, you can leave the details to the professionals.

Of course, the Inman Travel Plan is subject to various legal considerations, so be sure to read all the fine print. If you click on the button above, you’ll find more details on the plan, but here are a few things you should know:

  • The plan covers Participants who are 75 miles or more away from their legal residence at the time of death. Legal residence is your permanently fixed abode and is verified when you apply. Nursing homes are covered if the participant has lived there for more than 180 days.
  • Reimbursement claims are not covered. Inman professionals must handle arrangements.
  • If you are away from home when you enroll, your coverage will not take effect until you return to your legal residence.
  • Medical tourism is not included.

If you have any questions about the plan, let us know, and we can have an Inman representative contact you. Learn more about deceased transportation.

Medical Tourism

According to the Medical Tourism Association, Medical Tourism is where people who live in one country travel to another country to receive medical, dental and surgical care while at the same time receiving equal to or greater care than they would have in their own country, and are traveling for medical care because of affordability, better access to care or a higher level of quality of care.

The “tourism” in Medical Tourism reflects the many people who stay in a foreign country after the medical procedure to sightsee and do other traditional tourism activities.


Other Great Reads

10 Things to Know About Shipping a Body

It's not uncommon for people to die while away from home. Getting the deceased back home can be a difficult and expensive task. Here are 10 things to know about how shipping a dead body works.

How Much Will Your Funeral Cost? Try Our QuickPlan to Find Out.